Friday, July 8, 2011

Let's Be Honest, It's All About Richie

I haven't posted in almost a week. Laura - you're never going to become famous that way! I want to post. I even think about what I'm going to post. The problem is that I've actually gotten really busy! A few months ago when I first moved here, I complained that I had nothing to do. Now, I am busy almost every day! Let's do a re-cap of the week.

Monday - I actually kind of forget what I did on Monday. I know that I thoroughly cleaned the entire apartment, because we had three dogs here for a few days. Three dogs = lots of hair. I also went online to find some home remedies to clean rugs. We have a really nice rug in our living area that just seems to get really grey looking. Apparently, the key is to vacuum it almost daily. I also learned that if you're trying to clean a rug that looks bad, vacuum the top, flip it over and vacuum the bottom, then flip back and vacuum the top again. Sprinkle liberally with baking soda, let it sit there for a few hours (well, the website said 15 minutes, I left it on for a few hours) and then vacuum off. Doesn't clean off everything, but it definitely helps. I've discovered online that baking soda is kind of a cure-all! It has so many purposes. The purpose I've found for it? Cleaning Richie's throw-up off of our duvet and down comforter. That stuff does not smell good.

Tuesday - Work. Babysat the little buggers.

Wednesday - A coffee at the American Women's Club. I actually met two really nice girls there, and am hoping they will join because I'll get their contact info that way! I'm the Welcome Chair at the club now, so I'm responsible for making sure that newcomers feel, umm, welcome. And involved and all that other stuff. So I went to the coffee with the hopes of meeting some nice new people and getting them to join! I made Chocolate-Covered Cookie Dough Pops that went like hot-cakes. I was told that they tasted decadent, like a little piece of heaven, etc. I can't claim the credit for that recipe though, I got it from another blog called ChocolateCoveredKatie.com. I then spent four hours trying to decorate a bulletin board. Why do I think it sounds like a good idea to volunteer for everything? I used to LOVE decorating my classroom, so I thought decorating a bulletin board would be great. I mean, it did look cute at the end, it just took so long because I had to make everything from scratch. Letters, borders, backgrounds, etc. Remind me again why there is no Target here?

Thursday - Worked again. Took the boys on a bike ride down to the river where I thought we could go wading. Turns out the river was dried up so we weren't so successful.

I also made Mozzarella-Stuffed Bruschetta-Topped Hamburgers. They were really good and really filling. Actually not nearly as difficult or time consuming as the name makes them sound.

Took Richie down to the lake to play fetch and have a photo shoot. I don't know why he doesn't understand that Mama just wants him to stay still and look at the camera. I tried out a few different settings on my camera. I've discovered that if you adjust the aperture to a really low number it will bring the subject into focus but blur the background, which is what I really like. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the effect where the subject is in motion and kind of blurred. I thought that I had to adjust the shutter speed and keep it open for longer, but that really didn't give me what I was looking for. I know that I've seen really cool pictures like this before. Any ideas?


Mozzarella-Stuffed, Bruschetta-Topped Burgers

Recipe Serves Two

1/2 lb ground beef (just guessing, as weight here isn't measured in pounds. Also - you can use ground turkey they just don't sell it here.)
1/8 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella

Mix beef, Parmesan, salt, pepper and basil together.
Make into 4 small patties.
Take 1 patty, press 1/2 the mozzarella into it.
Top with another patty.

Repeat to make 2 burgers.

Use whatever bruschetta recipe you like and top the burgers with this after they are grilled.

I put about 1/2 cup balsamic dressing in a pot and stirred and stirred until it became somewhat of a glaze, and drizzled on top of the whole thing.

After this meal was when we took Richie down to the lake. I hope you enjoy the following photo montage.





I love the flying ears here.

I honestly don't think a dog could get any cuter.

Too tired to play, but keeping a watchful eye on dad to protect his ball.

Last night it was pouring, so after Paul took him out to go potty I had to towel dry him off. He is not happy that I am making him let me take pictures before he gets his treat.

Seriously, look how intense he is! He's grilling Paul, just waiting for his T-R-E-A-T. Yes, we have to spell it out. Thank goodness he can't read.

Really mom? Really? I'm a MAN! This is just embarrassing.

Today is a very special day. It is my mom's BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

Now it's off to the grocery store. We don't have any toilet paper, which means I can't go to the bathroom unless I want to use paper towels. Seriously, how did this happen??

Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. love your blog! you & your hubs are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks! I'm still new at this, and don't have a ton of followers/readers, but I really enjoy doing it!
    PS - I definitely had your blog open for a good 20 minutes today while I was hopping around online, just so I could listen to your bomb-diggity playlist. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a book for shiz. Favorite line: "Monday - I actually kind of forget what I did on Monday." Also, "Took Richie down to the lake to play fetch and have a photo shoot."

    The pictures of Richard are REALLLLLY GOOD. He is SO cute. Tell him that auntie mandy wants to kiss his lips.

    Also you are SO domestic your dinner looks amazing! Send me pics/recipes of the cake pops

    ReplyDelete