Sunday, July 10, 2011

If you can't run an Ironman, bake like a Real Housewife.

I used to be a runner. Okay, not really a runner so much as the girl who jogged (waddled) by, speeding up a little when she passed by a group of people, and taking advantage of running past crowds of boys in my sports bra - because if I'm working out, then that's acceptable, right? Anyway - I used to do that, then went to college and stopped. Sophomore and Junior year I started working out again, but only in the gym, I never got back out there running. I ran the Frauenlauf 10k a few weeks ago in Bern, Switzerland and had a great time. I can totally understand the racing "bug" that people say they get. However - and this is a BIG however - I don't think there is any bug strong enough to make me want to swim 2 1/2 miles, bike 112, and then finish off with a mere marathon. But dude, do I have respect for the people that do.

Paul and I were walking down to the lake today, like we do on a lot of nice days over the weekend, with a blanket under one arm and a cooler of, um, water (beer) in the other. We noticed that there were policemen and people standing down on the corner. We thought that the Ironman had been the day before and we'd missed it, but lo and behold it was happening today instead! As tough as the race is, I honestly don't think I could imagine a better place than Switzerland (particularly a beautiful city on a lake like Zurich) to have it. It's not too hot, not too humid, and beautiful. We actually got down there in time to see the leader crest a small hill with a videographer following him on a motorcycle. I got excited - these guys are not all skinny, some are legit ripped! I thought it was amazing to watch these people powering through the last leg of their race; they were running a marathon, after biking and swimming, and were seriously cruising. Paul and I were shocked at how fast they were going. Of course when I saw the first woman come through (beating a TON of the men, by the way) I felt the need to clap and yell "You go, girl!" I kept beaming and saying "Girl power!" I'm cheesy, I know.

This guy was one of the leaders.

Blurry photos - taken with my phone.

You can see the volunteers handing the runners turquoise colored things; these were water-soaked sponges that they squeezed all over themselves to cool off. Remember, they're running a marathon after swimming 2.5 miles and biking 112!

Just wanted to get a pic of the shirt, to prove that it was a legit Ironman! I thought I'd only ever see one of these on TV. It's kind of (I said kind of) like being a spectator at the Tour de France. You never think you're actually going to see this in real life!

This was probably the 5th woman to come through. I kept trying to take pics of the women but was missing them. They are seriously as ripped as the guys, and their hair is slicked back from sweat, so you can't really tell it's a girl until she's right in front of you!

So, since I can't compete in an Ironman, and I don't really work out, I decided that cooking something *healthy* might make me feel better. My only healthy cookbook is The Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel. Pathetic? Amazing? Those of you who don't know who Bethenny Frankel is, she's a previous cast member of the Real Housewives of NYC, and a hardworking chica who has made herself into a serious multi-millionaire. (Unlike the other housewives, who are dropping like flies into bankruptcy and foreclosure).

Anyway, I made Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. I don't know why she put this in her "healthy" cookbook, but I added flax seed to make it seem more legit.

Mmmmmmmm

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

1 cup raw sugar
1 Tbsp butter
3 ripe bananas
1 egg
1/2 cup choc. chips
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1 cup oat flour (i used regular/wheat)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

*I added approximately 3 Tbsp flax seeds.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Pour into greased loaf pan.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Remove aluminum foil and bake for another 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment