Monday, June 13, 2011

Paris

Hi there!
I haven't updated my blog in about a week, I was so busy with Paris, and Paul's parents - but now I'm back at it. :)

Paris was great. It was so strange though, because I forgot SO MUCH. I lived there for a little over 3 months, but have been gone now for 3.5 years, so I couldn't remember what some of the buildings were, or how to get to some places. My french was also VERY rusty. I did okay - but certainly did NOT sound French. When you are really good at a language, you can stop focusing on searching for the right words, tenses, conjugations, etc., and can start focusing on making yourself sound more authentic - in my case, replicating the Parisian accent. But on this trip, I was so busy trying to remember words that I definitely sounded, if not blatantly American, then certainly something other than French.

I'm not going to say that Paris is a cleaner city than Zurich, and perhaps not even prettier, but it is SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING. There are so many different types of people, which makes the city so much more dynamic. In Zurich, the majority of the people are white and wealthy. In Paris there are so many more ethnicities, so many more levels of wealth, etc. There is also so much more history. Switzerland has always been a very safe, neutral country; this means that not much exciting has happened here. There are literally only two things to sight-see here - the Fraumunster and Grossmunster Churches. If you're into history, or art, Paris definitely has more to offer.

When I walked into the Metro station I was brought back so quickly by the smell. It doesn't exactly smell good, it just smells so familiar.

We had dinner with my old host mom Dominique, and son mari - Erik. I think I had a perma-grin throughout the whole meal. When I walked in and saw them I got tears in my eyes; they are just the warmest, most accepting people I've ever met. I. Love. Them.

I didn't really get to do anything new, as it was Paul's parents first trip to Paris and I thought they should see all of the major sites (Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triompe, Louvre, Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, etc.) but it is only 4.5 hours away on the TGV, and we can stay with Dominique when we go, so I'm sure we'll be going back.

Hoping that I get preggo and have a little girl over here, because I want to decorate her nursery with lots of authentic things bought in Paris. I found a beautiful ballerina painting at one of the galleries, but didn't want to buy it for fear of having - *cough* - a boy. I mean, they're cute too - with trains and planes and what-not,,, but the decorating scheme for girls just has so many more options. :)

Today it's back to the real world, and back to babysitting Luca, Elias and Dominik. Also trying to get 6 loads of laundry done before I leave. We'll see how that goes.
Will update more regularly now that I'm back from "Parreeeeee."

Please notice the placement of Paul's hand in this picture. Oy, vey.

2 comments:

  1. Uh i just love Paris! One day i will get there but great pics. Whats your favorite thing in Paris? a must see?

    ReplyDelete