Friday, June 17, 2011

Easy Friday

I didn't really have any plans today, other than messing around with my new camera, so I decided to get busy in the kitchen. I, being the good little hausfrau that I am, made 2 different recipes.

The first - Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Cookies

These were inspired by the recent banana bread kick I've been on. I was looking for another banana recipe, and came across this one on the blog sweettoothsweetlife.com


If you want to replicate my beautiful goodies, here is the recipe.

Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:

1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 medium, overripe bananas, mashed
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. oats
1 c. chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Because I live in Switzerland, I am constantly having to adjust cooking instructions to celsius! (In case you're interested, this is 175 celsius)

Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl, cream together the butter, sugars and banana. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually add in the flour.

Lastly, mix in the oats and chocolate chips.

Scoop out onto baking sheet, bake for 12-13 minutes, and enjoy!

**********************************************************************************
You can tell that the cookies on top are a little bit darker brown in color than the ones underneath - that would be because I started to fool around with my camera and kept forgetting that I had cookies in the oven! If you were a fly on the wall in my apartment, you would see the same scene every 15 minutes.

- I'm sitting on the couch. I dramatically toss camera and computer aside yelling "crap! crap! crap!" while running into the kitchen. -

In my opinion, the chocolate chips are what make this recipe. You wouldn't believe how hard they were to find here! I had to go to 2 different stores, and when I found them, they weren't the chocolate chips that I'm used to back in the United States. They're little, square pieces of chocolate that come in a pouch, with only about 1 cups worth in the whole package. Funny!

Next I made homemade peanut butter granola - can you believe it? I'm going to try to make it last until Sunday, when I will take an early morning train to Bern, Switzerland for a race. Hoping that snacking on this stuff on the train will give me the fuel I need!


Peanut Butter Granola

Microwave 4 TBSP of peanut butter and 4 TBSP of honey for about 25 seconds.
Mix together to combine.
Add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract. Mix.
Add 2 cups oats. Mixed until well combined.
Spread onto greased cookie sheet and baked at 350 for about 15 minutes.

Yum!

In case you guys are thinking - "Wow, this is not the Laura I used to know, so domestic and responsible" don't worry. After baking these things, I decided to make a fruit smoothie. I was blending and blending but couldn't get the big chunks of frozen fruit to blend down. I used a spoon to loosen things up. Put the top on and got back to blending.
"BAM!"
"CRACK!"
"SMASH"
I just thought I had some REALLY hard pieces of fruit for about 10 seconds so I kept going, determined not to let a crappy blender win. Then I realized that I left the metal spoon inside the blender. Oops! Looked inside and the blender was broken.

My bad!

Paul is at an office party in Zug tonight. He told me that he'll be home between 9 and 10, but that it goes from 5 PM - 1 AM. Man - these Swiss sure do party hard for an office party!

2 comments:

  1. hmmmmm! chocolate and banana are an unbeatable combination, those sound goooood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - don't I know it. :) I just checked out your blog, and I dare say - I may have to add it to my list of regulars! It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete